Paul Walker Life

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Paul Walker Life

Paul Walker Life

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Paul Walker Life

Forum for Paul Walker fans around the globe!

The Paul Walker Life site has now moved!! Check out our new domain... http://paulwalkerlife.yolasite.com/

4 posters

Vegetarianism

earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Vegetarianism Empty Vegetarianism

Post by earthsista Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:14 pm

Do you guys know anyone who is vegetarian or vegan? Smile

Yesterday was my 3 month anniversary being vegan! Before that, I was lacto-ovo vegetarian (lacto-ovo vegos still have dairy products and eggs) since April last year. Smile

I thought that in this thread, I'd post interesting articles etc about vegetarianism/veganism etc. Smile
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Vegetarianism Empty Re: Vegetarianism

Post by earthsista Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:16 pm

There are more kinds of suffering than human suffering.

Whether you choose to research it or not, the sad truth remains: farmed-animal factories are not sunny, rolling pastures.

Unfortunately, most people are unconcerned about the tortured animals who help to provide the products we buy.

Some of the atrocities inflicted upon farmed animals include neglect, mutilation, castration without painkillers, genetic manipulation and drug regimens that result in crippling and chronic pain.

You may feel that an animal’s suffering is less important than human suffering, and you’d be right to believe that there are more immediately pressing issues in our world. However, there is no such thing as permissible torment.

According to Cambridge University professor Dr. Donald Broom, pigs have the mental capacity of a 3-year-old child. Why is it acceptable to treat farmed animals so cruelly while dogs and cats are treated like good friends? Our concept of cruelty should not rely upon species.

Not only that, but let’s take a look at how people generally regard vegetarians and animal-rights activists. There seems to be quite the stereotype about us.

I am a vegetarian, and yet I do not have uncontrollable urges to toss red paint on fur coats or blow up meat factories. I am not a member of PETA. I do not glare at people as I watch them chew their meals, and there are many other causes I am passionate about. Please don’t let extremists cloud your view of the entire movement.

Of course, I would never put a cow’s life before a human life, but the meat industry is highly detrimental to people, too. According to Human Rights Watch, slaughterhouse employees work in extremely unsafe conditions because the slaughter lines move far too quickly.

Not only this, but world hunger could be stopped if all of the plant-based food that goes into feeding the animals went to people instead.

Even if all that means nothing to you, factory farms release horrific amounts of pollution, hurting both the environment and the health of nearby towns. This pollution can even cause brain damage and cancer.

What is in the best interest of a farm animal is in your best interest, too. Albert Einstein said,
    “Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.” I generally put some stock in Einstein’s advice.

And just as Einstein indicated, there are also many health benefits.

The American Dietetic Association and other leading health experts state that vegetarians are far less prone to several types of cancer, strokes, food poisoning, obesity, diabetes and heart disease and even tend to live 10 years longer on average.

Even someone simply concerned with self-survival could have good reason for giving up eating dead animal carcasses. Indeed, most Americans consume twice as much protein as they actually need.

There are almost always excellent vegetarian options at restaurants. Most chefs will even prepare vegetarian versions of their menu entrees.

I realize that some people are unshakeable on this matter. Well, let me assure you that there is nothing unreasonable about wanting to hold these meat and dairy-based corporations to some ethical standards.

Before they buy anything, consumers should ask themselves where the product came from and who had to suffer before it reached the shelf.

My reason for going vegetarian was not to rub it in people’s faces or to seek attention. Vegetarianism allows individuals to help solve so many problems in our world, from pollution
    to hunger to poor health, and of course cruelty toward animals.

Having to listen to snide remarks never makes me feel self-conscious about my decision.

It is not “natural” for man to mass breed animals or to pump them full of drugs. It is not “natural” for the animals to die by drowning in the boiling-hot water of fur-removal tanks. Man began eating meat only fairly recently in our evolutionary history.

Unlike other animals, we have the ability to consider the moral ramifications of killing. We are perfectly aware of who and what we harm, whether directly or indirectly through irresponsible consuming.

Vegetarianism is not a new movement, and an imbalanced perspective is not the membership card.

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Someone even closer to home, Abraham Lincoln, said, “I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.”

Clearly, it is not so terrible to join the ranks of some of the greatest minds in history and be an advocate for lives that otherwise would not have a voice.

Source: The State Journal-Register
    jac
    jac

Post by jac Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Admin wrote:
    Some of the atrocities inflicted upon farmed animals include neglect, mutilation, castration without painkillers, genetic manipulation and drug regimens that result in crippling and chronic pain.

It is not “natural” for man to mass breed animals or to pump them full of drugs. It is not “natural” for the animals to die by drowning in the boiling-hot water of fur-removal tanks. Man began eating meat only fairly recently in our evolutionary history.

OMG. Even though I'm not vegan, I completely respect the vegan lifestyle and reasons behind it. Animals should not be tortured like this!

Hey, happy anniversary Lisa!!! Congrats!!! Very Happy

Can't wait to read more...
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:12 am

jac wrote:OMG. Even though I'm not vegan, I completely respect the vegan lifestyle and reasons behind it. Animals should not be tortured like this!

Hey, happy anniversary Lisa!!! Congrats!!! Very Happy

Can't wait to read more...

That's really cool, Jac. rendeer You're right, they shouldn't be tortured like that, it's totally uncalled for!
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 am

Vegan 101: A vegan is one who avoids causing harm or exploiting other living beings as much as humanly possible. This involves excluding all animal foods & animal-based items from their lives.
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 am

From a vegan perspective, it isn’t right to put another creature through something we ourselves would not be willing to go through. There are almost always alternatives to anything that has its in cruelty, & if not there may be ways to avoid the product or practice altogether.

Vegans practice “Ahisma”, which is an ancient Sanskrit word meaning “nonviolence”, or more specifically, “to cause no harm or injury to another living creature”. It’s at the heart of cruelty-free living & forms much of the foundation veganism is built upon.
    jenniferstein2006
    jenniferstein2006

Post by jenniferstein2006 Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:07 am

i really wanna become one Smile but my family loves meat sooo its kind of hard lol
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:45 am

Become vegan or vegetarian? Very Happy

Yeah, it can be hard if the family are a huge lovers of meat. I think that, if for eg, you wanted to go vegetarian, you go and research being vegetarian and what foods you have more of (like more nuts, soy & beans etc because they have huge amounts of protein, especially beans!) to get the vitamins/minerals that you got from meat. Smile If you research vegetarian diet for a bit and you show your family that you're serious about making the change to a vegetarian diet, than it would help.
    If they don't understand why you'd want to go vegetarian, for eg, if you wanna do it for ethical reasons (for how the animals are treated before they're slaughtered etc), give them some facts with what happens to the animals or even better, give them a link to a video online. There's a lot of videos that people can watch, to see how animals are grossly treated before they're killed. I went vegetarian in the first place because of how they're treated. Smile
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Vegetarianism Empty Founder of veganism, Donald Watson

Post by earthsista Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:47 am

Donald Watson survived to the age of 95; good propaganda in his campaign to convince the world that there is nothing inherently lethal about a vegan diet. He always regarded himself as a propagandist, in the term’s non-pejorative sense. When interviewed at 92 he was pleased to report that he had lived thus far without resort to medication “either orthodox or fringe”, and with hardly a day’s illness.

His parents were meat-eaters who did not enjoy particularly good health or long lives. His father, a headmaster who had worked his way up from being a farm boy, impressed on his son the importance of never swearing, which was helpful, Watson said, when spreading the word: “It annoys some people, and propagandists should not annoy anyone except with the truth of their message.”

While staying at the farm run by his much-loved Uncle George, Watson was shocked to see his uncle direct the slaughter of a pig. Its screams remained with him ever after. “I decided that farms — and uncles — had to be reassessed: the idyllic scene was nothing more than death row, where every creature’s days were numbered.” He became a vegetarian, but continued to worry about dairy and other animal products and the way in which their industries were linked to the slaughterhouses.

He left school at 14, but failed to find a job as a woodworker in the Depression, so he trained as a woodwork teacher. When war came in 1939 he registered as a conscientious objector. His elder brother and younger sister later joined him as vegetarians and COs. All were teetotallers and non-smokers, causing Watson’s mother to say that she felt like a hen that had hatched a clutch of duck eggs.

Towards the end of the war, Watson formed a committee of “non-dairy vegetarians”, who wanted to remove animal products entirely from their diet and initiate a new movement. He was keen to capitalise on the tuberculosis reported in Britain’s dairy cows, and the scarcity of eggs. He laid out the first issue of his Vegan News in November 1944, over 12 typed and stapled sheets of A4. The word vegan he took from the front and back end of “vegetarian”, expressing his belief that this new, absolutist diet was in fact the first impulse and the final destination of the vegetarian journey. He asked for other suggestions, and “dairyban”, “vitan”, “benevore”, “sanivore” and “beaumangeur” were offered, but most of the 25 members were happiest with vegan.

The early issues of the newssheet, written in Watson’s straightforward but eloquent style, became the “Dead Sea scrolls” of veganism, the first warning to the faithful that: “We may be sure that should anything so much as a pimple ever appear to mar the beauty of our physical form, it will be entirely due in the eyes of the world to our own silly fault for not eating ‘proper food’. Against such a pimple the great plagues of diseases now ravaging nearly all members of civilised society (who eat ‘proper food’) will pass unnoticed.” Subscriptions rose rapidly, but his meagre resources limited the print run to 500. The Vegan Society’s 25 members swelled steadily to the 5,000 of today. There are now an estimated 250,000 vegans in Britain.

The American Vegan Society, and other international groups, cropped up without any prompting or help from Watson who, in later years, served the Vegan Society mainly as a source of inspiration.

While other vegans, such as Alan Long, were willing to lambast lacto-vegetarians as co-conspirators of the dairy industry, Watson insisted that vegetarianism was an essential “staging post” to a true diet. Watson never set out to be a guru. When asked whether he condemned or condoned animal liberation groups, he always maintained that he simply could not make up his mind on them.

He moved to Cumbria, where his one-acre vegetable patch was his main concern — always turned over with a fork instead of a spade to avoid killing worms.

His wife predeceased him. He is survived by his daughter.

Donald Watson, founder of veganism, was born on September 2, 1910. He died on November 16, 2005, aged 95.

Source: TimesOnline
    jenniferstein2006
    jenniferstein2006

Post by jenniferstein2006 Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:56 am

good idea.....i'll do some research
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:02 am

jenniferstein2006 wrote:good idea.....i'll do some research

Coolies cat I'm here if you need any advice Smile
    jac
    jac

Post by jac Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:52 am

Former Chino slaughterhouse worker to testify against managers
    11:30 AM PDT on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

By DARRELL R. SANTSCHI
    The Press-Enterprise

The attorney for a former slaughterhouse worker at the Westland/Hallmark Meat Co. said his client has agreed to testify against company managers in exchange for as little as seven months of house arrest for prodding downer cows.

Fontana lawyer Ruben Salazar disputed allegations by investigators and a former worker at the Chino plant who contended that Daniel Ugarte Navarro, 49, of Pomona, was a pen manager at Hallmark who ordered others to abuse sick and injured cows.

"He was a pen worker," Salazar said of Ugarte in a telephone interview. "He was not a boss."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture ordered the recall of 143 million pounds of beef, the largest recall in its history, on Feb. 17 after video footage was taken in October and November by an undercover investigator from the Humane Society of the United States. The video appears to show workers at the Chino plant using electric prods, chains and a forklift to beat, shock and shove cows to force them to stand for slaughter.

Cows must be able to stand and pass an initial inspection to be accepted for slaughter. A veterinarian must re-evaluate any animals that go down after the initial inspection for them to be eligible for the food supply. Downer cows pose a risk of mad cow disease, federal officials have said.

Salazar said Ugarte is shown on the video prodding sickly cows, but that he did so under orders from Pablo Salas, who Salazar said was a pen manager who supervised Ugarte.

"He's the guy that my client insists directly ordered him, under threat of firing him, to move the downer cows with forklifts, chains and electrical prods," Salazar said. "All those were provided by the employer."

Salas, who could not be reached Monday for comment, in earlier interviews has denied any wrongdoing.

Salazar said abuse of downer cows "had been going on for 23 years (that Ugarte worked at Hallmark) and nobody ever complained or disciplined him for the manner in which he did it."

Salazar said Ugarte had no idea it was illegal to do what he was doing.

"He was basically under the impression that his employer knew the law," Salazar said, "and they would not have told him to do this had it been illegal."

According to the attorney, Ugarte will tell federal investigators that high-level officials at Hallmark struck a deal with Chino-area dairy farmers and other farmers from as far as Arizona to pay them for cows that were no longer producing milk and would otherwise have to be euthanized by a veterinarian and disposed of at the farmers' expense.

The cows were taken to the slaughterhouse, Salazar said, where they were placed in a pen for inspection by USDA inspectors, but many cows were processed on days and at times when the inspectors were not around.

He said he is not sure how much of this the USDA investigators are aware of. A USDA investigator could not be reached Monday.

Under the deal with a prosecutor struck at San Bernardino County Superior Court in Chino, Salazar said Ugarte pleaded guilty to two felony counts of animal cruelty and two misdemeanor counts of illegally moving a nonambulatory animal.

As part of the deal, Salazar said, the district attorney's office dropped three other felony counts of animal cruelty and one other misdemeanor count of moving a nonambulatory animal.

Ugarte's sentencing was postponed to 8:30 a.m. Sept. 24 in the Chino court. Ugarte will submit to an interview with federal investigators "sometime between now and then," Salazar said.

I remember when this happened earlier this year. Chino is about an hour or so from where I live. So yeah, we didn't eat that meat for a while.
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:54 am

He prodded downer cows? omg Sad I didn't exactly understand what downer animals were until a few months ago. So sad. Sad
    jenniferstein2006
    jenniferstein2006

Post by jenniferstein2006 Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:05 am

the ONLY thing that should be prodded and burned is the MEN who do that to animals
    and husbands
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:08 am

jenniferstein2006 wrote:the ONLY thing that should be prodded and burned is the MEN who do that to animals
    and husbands

Twisted Evil I agree!
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:39 am

Vegetarianism N749827408_961363_3449

My vegan care package from American friend!

Surf Sweets vegetarian gummy swirls, chocolate raspberry Luna bar, Alternative Baking Company Inc. pumpkin slice cookie, Chocolove orange peel in dark chocolate, Cream Of Wheat, All Natural Mi-Del swedish style vanilla snaps, Frankly Natural Bakers Wheat-Free date-nut energy square, Frankly Natural Bakers Vegan Decadence peanut butter brownie, 2x FrvitaBü Organic Smoooshed strawberry fruit flats, 2x Stretch Island Fruit Co. ripened raspberrys, 2x Stretch Island Fruit Co. harvest grapes AND Kiss My Face Obsessively Natural pure olive oil soap. lol.

Shocked Laughing
    jac
    jac

Post by jac Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:04 pm

omg, I use to eat those fruit flat things (never remembered what they were actually called, heh) all the time when I was little! I use to live by this store called "Boney's" then it was changed to "Henry's" and now the Henry that I now live by was closed down!

It's a healthy store, I guess you could call it. Delish. But yeah, I love those fruit flats!
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:29 am

Really? Wow!! How cool!! cherry They're soo delicious!!!! Razz hehe. It's great they're vegan!! sunny
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:54 am

Agar Powder is a seaweed setting agent, similar to gelatine (an animal-derivative product). It is high in protein and calcium and easy to digest. One teaspoon of agar powder sets approximately one cup of liquid. You will need to boil the agar in water for a few minutes to dissolve it.

Fruits

Choose from a wide variety of druits, preferably organically grown, and eat at least 2-3 or more servings a day: apples, apricots, avocado, bananas, berries (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, gooseberries, loganberries, mulberries, raspberries), canteloupe (aka rockmelon), cherries, cumquats, custard apples, dates, figs, grapes, grapefruit, honeydew melon, kiwi fruit, lemons, limes, loquats, lychees, mandarins, mangoes, nectarines, olives, oranges, passionfruit, pawpaw, pears, pineapple, plums, quince, rhubarb, tangerines, tomatoes and watermelon.
    jenniferstein2006
    jenniferstein2006

Post by jenniferstein2006 Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:07 pm

i LOVE me some pineapple
    jac
    jac

Post by jac Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:40 am

I love fruit (and veggies). I went on a shopping spree of fruits and veggies yesterday. It was so much fun. Smile

I didn't know canteloupes are also called rockmelons. That's so cool, I'ma start calling them that. Haha, I bought 4 rockmelons yesterday. Is that what you lovely Aussies call them Lisa? That's so awesome. sunny
    earthsista
    earthsista
    Admin

Post by earthsista Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:19 am

Pineapple... I love that stuff. Very Happy

Shopping spree? Why wasn't I invited, woman?? <_< Razz hahahaha

I'd love to go on a shopping spree to get fruits and vegetables.... I could spend A LOT of money... Wink lol!

Yep! We call canteloupe "rockmelon".... Wink I never knew what canteloupe was! I thought it was an animal... oops, I got canteloupe mixed up with anteloupe, DOH!! I'm such a dick!! Razz lol!
    jenniferstein2006
    jenniferstein2006

Post by jenniferstein2006 Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:03 pm

yeah....
    tomorrow theres gonna be a farmers market with lots of that stuff Smile
    I'M GOIN'
    jac
    jac

Post by jac Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Admin wrote:Pineapple... I love that stuff. Very Happy

Shopping spree? Why wasn't I invited, woman?? <_< Razz hahahaha

I'd love to go on a shopping spree to get fruits and vegetables.... I could spend A LOT of money... Wink lol!

Yep! We call canteloupe "rockmelon".... Wink I never knew what canteloupe was! I thought it was an animal... oops, I got canteloupe mixed up with anteloupe, DOH!! I'm such a dick!! Razz lol!
    I've been to the Dole Pinapple Plantation in Hawaii. Best pineapple on the planet. I should show you some pictures....

Haha, I brought you Lisa!! You were there spiritually. albino

Haha. Doh!! oops, oh well. Common mistake.....yeah.... Suspect lol!

jenniferstein2006 wrote:yeah....
    tomorrow theres gonna be a farmers market with lots of that stuff
    I'M GOIN'
    Sounds fun. Farmer markets are the bomb diggity. afro
    I just found out our mall has the farmers market every wednesday or something. So weird. Seems like such a random place. The city's prolly doing that to make it feel more like a "community" or whatever. The people suck lollipops over here, so lame. Heh. Anyways! lol!
    jenniferstein2006
    jenniferstein2006

Post by jenniferstein2006 Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:12 am

hahaha

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:37 am